Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tricks of the Trade ~ Repairing Scratches on Wood

My late husband was a Naval aviator. He's was Mr. Shiny Shoes. Also, Mr. Pressed suit, starched shirt, clean nails, ready smile. When he died, all the really dear things he did or kept or built or read became talismans to me.

One of my favourites is his shoe shine kit. I have no idea when he made it. It could have been in high school when he was an Eagle Scout; it could have been when he was in the Navy; it could have been when he got back to civilian life.

It's so much like him ~ several of everything. He was an aviator after all ~ Mr. Redundant Systems.

Unfortunately for him, I was not Mrs. Shiny Shoes ~ though I do admire it in others.

One of the things I love about his little shoe shine kit extravaganza is the number of colours of shoe polish he had. I may not shine my shoes, but I do like shiny, cared-for furniture.

Here's a tip I learned from a good friend who has the most wonderful antique-cum-junk stores in the Seattle area. Charles uses shoe polish to hide surface scratches on the pieces he has for sale. Shoe polish is intensely coloured and buffs up to a nice lustrous glow. Thirsty wood looks dewy. The application is easy and the results immediate.

I like to use Meltonian Cream. It comes in an astonishing number of colours. 45! Yowza! It's a very elegant material. Cordovan is heaven on mahogany. Black, of course, is a must. As well as dark brown. When you aren't using them on your furniture, they can reside in your shoe shine kit.

I love products that do double duty!

And, if you are ever in the Seattle area, check out St. Charles Place Antiques and Restorations. it's not the least bit chi-chi but, he really has treasures!

Really!

Day 54 Everyday Grateful ~
Rainy.
Really rainy.
Cold even ~ sheesh, it's June for God's sake!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Charles-Place-Antiques-Restorations/109817639078779

http://www.meltonian.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment