Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Out of Chaos Comes French Toast! Who Knew?

When the Bear was little, he accompanied me to a project site visit. After we got back in the car, he said, "When are you going to be done?"

"We're almost done now," I said.

"Really?" he said. "It doesn't look like it."

"I know, but there comes a time in a project when all the elements are complete and you just need to clear away the extra stuff and B*I*N*G*O, everything falls into place and you're done!"

As a child of a woman who has worked in construction for thirty years, that observation and "DON'T PANIC" have stood him in good stead.

So, remember last week when I mentioned I was in need of some extra dough? To recap: As I've mentioned before, designers are often supply-rich. We've got samples of this and seven of that and some of those and a little here and there.


A week ago Sunday, I got some of the big things out and brought them into the dining room. My goal last week was to make something out of this that I can sell; something people will buy; something fairly easy to fabricate; something not terribly expensive, something artful and beautifully made of what I have on hand and that I don't have to buy more stuff of to be successful.


The driving force of the item was coffee. To be more specific, coffee made in a French Press. This is Seattle after all and the home of the quintessential (not to mention ubiquitous) coffee company ~ Starbucks. To quote the great Howard Schultz and the Daily Mail (my guilty pleasure) "Mr. Schultz says he uses a Bodum French press which results in 'the best cup of coffee known to mankind.' "

I concur! There is only one drawback to the French press ~ having it stay hot.

Enter "French Toast" my French press cozy. Keeps my morning coffee hot, looks fabulous (I'm a designer, after all) and fits both my French press and several of my regular tea and coffee pots. Double duty. And, lovely. Lovely on the counter in my kitchen, on a tray on my tuffet in the living room, on the coffee / tea table for a buffet.

So, I whipped out 10 different "French Toast" patterns. This is the final version of my first ~ a tan and cream silk with black piping, silk organza trim and a gold wired ribbon handle. Doesn't it just look like a pageant!

Nice!




So, whether, you are keeping your regular French press warm or using your large Haviland / Limoges porcelain pot from your mother or the tall Russian carafe of hot chocolate with brandy after dinner ~ they all stay hot in the "French Toast" ~ How cool is that!

Life is too short to drink coffee or tea from a naked pot!



Day 46 Everyday Grateful ~
Putting together my French Toast cozies
Turning my dining room into a photo studio
Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment