Monday, June 18, 2012

Stone Soup, Redux ~ What to Do With an Entire Head of Celery

I love celery.

What I don't love is buying an entire head and not really knowing what to do with it once I've used a couple of stocks in the dish I'm making. And, the next time you notice it, it's a limp, bitter mess.

Not attractive.

While I appreciate celery stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese or somesuch, I'm just not interested in fussing with it.

It's been a kindah rainy, dreary day. Almost cold. The perfect soup weather . . .

"Mmmm, what to make? " I thought as I stood in front of my opened refrigerator. As I've mentioned before, I'm sort of famous (or infamous, if you will) for having a refrigerator full of nothing but condiments. Not a single meal (except my fresh bagel, cream cheese, capers, smoked salmon, sliced tomato standard) to be had.

And, then I spied it ~ a full head of celery I'd bought this weekend. Fresh, crisp, nice. Celery soup! Oh, yes! That's just what I'll make.


I sauteed an onion with a couple of cloves of garlic. Added some fresh stock. Coarse chopped the entire head of celery including the few leaves and threw in a cup of rice. Set it to simmer.

When everything was tender, the chopped celery was a little too aggressive looking so I sieved out the broth and threw the solids into the Cuisinart. Re-added the broth and stirred in some half and half, freshly ground pepper, some salt and freshly ground coriander seeds from my friend Byron's astonishing garden.

At the table, I had the last of the smoky BBQ'd fresh wild salmon to crumble over the soup. How's this for a visual? Steaming Celadon green soup with bright red salmon broken over the top. Oh, yes!

Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

Was it a big damn deal? No. But, it was fresh, fragrant, hearty, toothsome and a lovely way to end the day. 


 
 
Day 50 Everyday Grateful ~
Rainy, blustery day. Friends for dinner.
Logan is coming to town tomorrow!
Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment