Saturday, June 23, 2012

Melamine ~ Hideous Except When It's Beautiful!


I put it down to having been raised in the 50's. I just don't have a thing for Melamine. It kindah creeps me out.

Have you ever noticed the instant you make a deep pronouncement, the next day you are eating your words? Yah, me too! A while ago, I chanced upon a church rummage sale. Mostly I avoid them but I'm glad I dropped in. I bought two things and got out of there for under $20. The first was a fantastic kneeling camel which I use in my guest bath to hold Q-tips. Niiiice.

 

The other was a pair of over-sized Melamine leaves in a very nice creamy white.

FAN TAS TIC!

Not only are they completely beautiful and in immaculate condition, but they look amazing on the table. I picked them up immediately.

 

Fast forward. Last summer, I was helping out a friend who has a shop in Old Bellevue. I was walking around to familiarize myself with her stock when . . . whoa! Porcelain leave trays. First cousins to my large Melamine trays at ten times to price. Sure, the porcelain leaves were wonderful, but were they 10 times more wonderful?

No, they weren't.

Every time I use my lovely Melamine leaves, I'm reminded of their rich porcelain cousins who probably live in the Hamptons when they aren't vacationing in BVI and are not nearly as astonishingly beautiful as my little church rummage sale find.

There's a lesson there. Keep your eyes open (oh, and, Heidi? Stop making pronouncements!)

Is this a great country or what!



No comments:

Post a Comment