Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wild Salmon is King in Seattle ~ It's Copper River Season in the Puget Sound

Photo: AP / SL
Last Friday, Alaska Airlines flew into Seattle with the first wild Copper River King Salmon of the season.

What is Copper River salmon like?

The first time I had Copper River salmon was about 35 years ago. In Seattle, the first weekend in May is Opening Day. Sure it's also Kentucky Derby, but in Seattle, it's the Opening Day of boating season. The Friday before, the boats start lining up in Lake Union to go through the Cut between Lake Washington and Lake Union.

From 1992 to 2000, my sons rowed, first Junior Rowing champions and then on to the University of Washington Crew ~ a national powerhouse. I've spent many years standing on the Montlake Bridge watching the shells fly through the Cut to the finish line. Yes, Opening Day in Seattle is our first outdoor festival of the summer.

My friend, Gwynne always has a spring party that weekend. I was new to Seattle and was utterly clueless about fish (except brook trout, the occasional bass and canned tuna). So, really what did I know? And, having lived most of my life in the desert southwest, I really didn't know from wild salmon.

So, I get to Gwynne's party and the buffet on the dining table is groaning with food. Smack in the middle of the table was an enormous whole salmon. Oh uck, I thought. Fish! (and not in a good way). I was picking my way around the side dishes when Gwynne came up and said, "Let me help you dish up some salmon."

"Oh, thanks," sez I. "I'll get some later."

"Nonsense," sez she. "If you don't get some now, there won't be any left."

Inwardly, I'm thinking, "Oh, jeez." Outwardly, I said, "thanks, that would be great." I have to say I gasped when I saw her cut off about three inches of fish. No way in hell I can hide that under a lettuce leaf. She stood there in intense anticipation. Oh crap! Caught! I'm really going to have to at least make a good show of eating this. I'll look for a potted plant later. So, I take a small forkful and carefully put it into my mouth.

Oh! My! God! It was utterly delicious.

"What is this?" I asked.

"It's salmon," she said.

"No, salmon is fishy and tastes like cat food. This is wonderful. Really, what is it?"

"It is really salmon. It's from Alaska. QFC brings it in every spring from the Copper River."

And, here we are today. The first Copper River Kings are now in Seattle. It's such an elegant fish. Deeply red, extremely moist and flavourful. Once you've had Copper River King or Sockeye, every other salmon gets in line behind.


I am reminded of the importance of wild salmon in the cultural history of the Pacific Northwest. Everything about this place we love is a direct result of the birth, life, death and rebirth of this magnificent fish.

And, our wild stocks are in desperate peril. It's ironic that the arrival of Copper River Kings to the shops in Seattle occured just as the Seattle Times published a front page article about the dangers of fish farming in Canadian and US waters. Alexandra Morton has worked tirelessly to bring attention to the dangers of this filthy industry. She has documented the existance of a virulent virus found in farmed stock that is finding its way into wild runs as they pass by the salmon farms.

Will her work do any good? I don't know. But, lots and lots of groups are working to protect this indicator species. If we give up on wild salmon, we're screwed. What are we going to eat? Radioactive tuna?


If we care about the future, we must protect wild salmon. Everything our children need, wild salmon need. If you care about wild salmon and can't think of what to do with $100, $500, $1000, support a nonprofit working in this important area.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018296338_viruslady27m.html

http://www.greatwildsalmonrun.org/

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/boeing/article/Alaska-Air-delivers-first-Copper-River-salmon-3568964.php#photo-2952881

http://copperriversalmon.org/

Day 39 Everyday Grateful ~
Getting ready to iron napkins.
What can I say?
Ironed napkins are another thing
that keeps civilization together!
Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment