Thursday, May 17, 2012

What to Do When Your Daffodils say, "See You Next Year"?

Last night I was walking in the garden checking on the progress of my lilies and the general well-being of my pots.

Whoa! 

What the hell!

My daffodils!

Yikes!

When did this happen?

It's funny how one day they look wonderful and the next day, they look scraggly and pitiful. Not to mention, messy and depressing. 

It was clear my riot of daffodils was saying, "See you next year!"

The good thing is I don't have seven acres of daffs that are looking sickly. So, this afternoon, I braided up my pots and in a little while, I'll compost the braid and the bulbs will sleep the sleep of the righteous 'til next spring.

Certainly, I could cut them back, but I really believe it's important for all the nutrients to go back into the bulb. It's probably an old wife's tale. It's sort of like believing in Heaven. Why not? What's the worst that can happen if you are wrong?


I figure you can get away with a multitude of sins if things are orderly. Chaos and sin are a bad combo!

 


At least when I walk under the pergola, it feels cared for. That and orderliness is a good combo!
 

My day lilies in my large Italian terra cotta pot have filled in nicely and perhaps best of all, the daffodils bulbs can happily go take in all the nurtients they need without looking messy.

Day 33 Everyday Grateful ~
Marylou came by for a visit.
Sunny, bright, still. Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment