Sunday, May 6, 2012

Leftovers

My friend Barb sent me home with a doggie bag of goodies from yesterday's Cinco De Mayo fest de mange. At about 6:30, I got everything out and started fixing the leftovers for dinner.

While I was filling all the bowls, I really had to laugh remembering a story a friend told me when I was in college. It's the famous "leftovers" story at her parents' home. Her father was an exec at Roman Meal bread in Tacoma. Her mother was used to entertaining corporate visitors in their wonderful custom Mid-century home overlooking the Narrows Bridge.

On one occasion, Ray called home late in the afternoon to say that a delegation of Japanese clients made an impromptu visit to the offices of Roman Meal and wanted to come to their home for dinner. "How soon" was the question. "In about an hour" was the shocking answer.

There wasn't time to go to the store.

When everyone arrived, the table was set with Jean's wonderful hand-throw pottery plates in the dining room with a view of the bridge. On the table were bowls and bowls of one wonderful thing after another. With yummy noises from every side of the table, the delegation tucked into their amazing dinner. Over coffee and desert, one of the Japanese visitors said, "That was so wonderful. What was it?" "Leftovers," deadpanned Jean.

The twist to the story is that every time the delegation came to Tacoma to meet with Ray at Roman Meal, they wanted to know if they could come over for "leftovers" again.

That about sums up Barb's refrigerator. One toothsome thing after another ready for a complete dinner or a midnight snack.



I didn't have to add much to finish off this meal. I whipped up some of my special fresh black bean salsa, bought some cilantro and sour cream, decanted all the wonderful things Barb had sent home with me into pretty bowls, got out my rectangular celadon plates, linen napkins and my Frank's Red Hot and voila ~ leftovers.

Delicious leftovers!

Refrigerators are really indicative of the people who live in the house. Barb's is full of everything required to make nearly every dish she might have in mind for the week. Mine is full of condiments: fresh bagels, cream cheese, capers, my smoked salmon, some Tillamook cheeses, Plochman's mustard, butter, whole milk. Not a single real meal in the whole ice box ~ except breakfast. I'm sure it says something about me; I'm just not sure what.

While I may not be able to whip up a meal at a moment's notice, I take comfort in this: Several years ago, I did a multi-year project for a Microsoft billionaire. He was famous for having a quart of freshly squeezed orange juice, 6 -8 different bottles of hand-crafted microbrews and half a dozen bottles of different mustards and nothing else in his refrigerator.

The refrigerator and leftovers. It's a mystery.

Day 26 Everyday Grateful ~  Ella Fitzgerald Singing
The Gershwin Songbook on the stereo,
the doors open to the back deck,
a sunny beautiful day.
Leftovers.
Thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment