Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What The Hell is Weft and Warp?

Weft and warp are weaving terms. From simple one-over/one-under homespun to intricate brocades, jacquards and matelassé, all woven patterns in fabric are generated by making the weft and warp do what you want.

So, what is weft and warp and how can I be sure which is which?

I think in pictures. Unless I have a mental picture of something, it's sometimes hard for me to grasp a concept. When I was in college and we were studying fabric. I just couldn't get weft and warp straight. Because I didn't weave, I just didn't have confidence as to which was really which.

Enter Star Trek. When James Tiberius Kirk said, "Take us up to Warp Speed, Mr. Sulu." brings his arm up, straightens his elbow, points at the flight deck window and the stars go whizzing by, I finally got it. Warp is the "go foward." It's the length. The warp is the fiber put on the loom first. It's the reason manufacturers can weave 300+ yards at a time. When a bolt of fabric is unrolled across the counter in the fabric shop, you are seeing the warp in action. That leaves the weft. It goes side-to-side and makes the pattern.

Ramses' scarf is a one-over/one-under homespun. The warp is linen. The weft (side-to-side) is all Ramses. See? 

No comments:

Post a Comment