Sunday, April 22, 2012

Planting the Pots on the Deck

Gawd, what a day! Ron and Karen came over. Many flats of annuals, some perennials, many bags of potting soil, a box containing several plastic bags of Miracle Grow, a couple of tarps. All the pots on the back deck were emptied. The soil was replaced, fertilized and fluffed within an inch of its life. Decisions were made. What goes where? Which goes with what? Waddayah mean, there are six more pots? Many were roped into the process including my darling exchange student from Saudi Arabia.

Warm. Sunny. And, the satisfaction of a completed project. Everyone participated including Ramses. He's all about being part of the action.

Then dinner. Karen whipped up an amazing medley of pasta, Alfredo sauce, shrimp, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, some garlic and onion. Sourdough bread warming in the oven. And, voila! Dinner.

And, not quite best of all but nearly ~ the first dinner of the year on the back deck. Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but, one of the best things about Seattle? No mosquitoes. You can actually sit outside and feel the air and not get dragged off by biting, sucking, itching insects. Like I said ~ we live in paradise.

And, the outdoor furniture? In my continuing quest for vintage and salvage. I bought the galvanized basket when I. Magnin's was closing. I think it was probably display piece; bought the glass top at Pier One; the chairs are Martha from Target and, the hurricane lantern? A complete score! Bought at a yard sale in Lewiston, Idaho on a scorching hot day in the summer when I was over taking care of my father. $42.

OMG ~ I had to sit down when I found the label ~ Chapman! Still in the line for $1500! 

Another reason to keep your eyes open. Amazing things are out there.

And, as we were going from pot to pot, one of the pots of daffodils was definitely saying, "see you next year." So I braided the greens and in a couple of weeks, when all the energy has gone back into bulbs, this pot will sleep until next spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment