Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Family History in Linen

Way before I had my first son, a friend of mine was traveling in London. Walking the stalls on Portobello Road, she found this darling vintage christening gown and brought it home to me. I decided to make this creamy linen gown a family tradition. I put our family name in the center with the name of one of my sons on either side.
The grand plan was to have their children flow from their father's name. Both my sons were christened wearing this lovely piece of history. When my oldest son and my daughter-in-law had their first child, the wonderful gown was pulled into action. And, the name of my first grandchild was embroidered beside his father's. Since then, two girls have arrived in our family.
The grands are coming from Milan to visit this summer. Between now and then, I will be embroidering the youngest girl and her date of birth along the hem line beside her father, her brother and her sister.
I love tender personal sentiments like this. They make me profoundly happy.

If you are going to London, I recommend two markets. More about my other favourite tomorrow.

http://www.portobelloroad.co.uk/

Day 17 Everyday Grateful ~ Sunny!
We're planting the pots on the back deck.
And, it may be warm enough to eat outside!
Yee haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment