Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Champagne Sabre


My oldest son, known far and wide as The Bear, has a heightened sense of fun. When he's not being Mr. International Law Attorney in Milan, he's being Mr. Wine, Mr. Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil, Mr. LaScala, Mr. Lake Como, Mr. Italian Sensibility.


He is, in fact, Mr. Enchanted April.

And, Mr. Steeltrap Memory. At dinner, I never know whether we'll hear a full rendition of Monty Python's swallow and the coconut complete with all the voices or a thoughtful analysis of how the Italians ended up hanging out with Hitler. Fascinating young man.

A couple of years ago, I was visiting at Christmas and the following ensued:

"Here, hold this and follow me," he said, as he handed me a Champagne flute. We walked out onto the balcony. And, with a flourish, he hauls out a sabre. Yikes, I thought ~ that looks deadly.

"Now, get ready."

"Get ready for what?" I said.

"You'll know," he said. With a sweep of his arm, he quickly and firmly slid the saber up the neck of the bottle of DOC Prosecco and P*O*P! The entire cork with its cage and the neck of the bottle flew off and sparkling wine bubbled out into my flute.

I mean, how fun is that!!!

I am a firm believer in having a case (or, in these lean times, at least six bottles) of a nice Champagne or DOC Prosecco on hand to be able to celebrate any occasion large or small in style. Your best friend just decided to join the gym? Champagne. You've finished your taxes? Champagne. Your neighbor just met a lovely woman? You're gonna need Champagne. And, if you just can't think of how to spend a couple of hundred dollars, you might consider a Champagne sabre . . . or, a very large kitchen knife.

At the rate we are launching Champagne corks off my son's balcony, I predict, we will very soon have enough basketed corks to decorate the Christmas tree. Now, that is something to celebrate!

Cheers! Salute! Cin-Cin!

 



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutlery: it isn't just for murder anymore. (When you're in advertising as long as I was, you begin thinking in taglines and product images.)

    ReplyDelete