Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Smoked Wild Salmon & Nectarine Salad

OK. OK. this is short 'cuz it got late.

All the wild smoked salmon is out of the smoker. The sections have been vacuum packed. The sealed packages cooled and now in the freezer.

My next door neighbor, Chuck, called to see if we all were having dinner and what could he bring? I told him I thought Smoked Salmon Caesar salad would be good.

"Yes," sez I. "Come for dinner. Please bring a head of romaine and a baguette. I have a bottle of wine."

"I'll bring that and a bottle of wine as well. See you at 7:00."

It was such a lovely evening, I decided to set the table on the back deck. Because I never know who is going to be home and who will be eating, I put the stack of plates, silver and napkins at the end of the counter so, if someone came in, it would be clear they were welcome to join us all for dinner.

Chuck arrived with the baguette, a bottle of nice red wine and . . . whoa! Iceberg lettuce? Mmmmmm.

OK. OK. Difficult to make a Caesar without romaine. How about a smoked salmon and fresh ripe nectarine salad? Maybe a fresh tomato. And, the snipped green ends of scallions. Maybe a little coarse mustard balsamic/olive oil vinaigrette with a few drops of sesame oil. Could be good.

Oh gosh! It was good. It wasn't the prettiest salad I've ever seen. Even though the lettuce was perfectly fresh and crisp, it looked pale and bruised. Go figure. But, it was delicious. The perfect light meal for a warm summer evening.

Karen stopped by for a glass of wine. Kim came for dinner and brought a small berry pie from Whole Foods. Morgana came late and I whipped up more salad. Karen slipped out to buy some French vanilla ice cream for the little pie we were all sharing.

Lots of visiting, chatting and laughing.

And, planning for Chuck's friend Mike's birthday party.

BBQ! On Friday! At Heidi's. F*U*N!

Menu plans are in the works.


Day 60 Everyday Grateful ~

Cool this morning.
Supposed to be sunny this afternoon.
The air is still. Heaven!
A lovely Seattle summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment