Friday, July 20, 2012

Mmmmm . . . I'm Sensing a Pattern!

As you may have noticed, I'm crazy for wild salmon; so much so, that a year ago, I became a wild salmon smoking fool. Yet, no matter how much wild salmon I smoke, there doesn't seem to be any in the freezer or the refrigerator.

Where does it all go? It's a mystery.

Let's review. Eleven days ago, I smoked five fish, vacuum packed them and put them in the freezer to be taken out the night before for breakfast in the morning. At last check, nary a one is left. What the hell? At this rate, I may need to install a "salmon cam" to catch to culprit.

Upon reflection, it seems everyone around here is also a fool for smoked wild salmon. Kim brought in freezer packs to allow her to send some smoked salmon to her family in the Southwest. On Monday, Morgana left me a note that she had put a fresh wild salmon in the refrigerator and "if you are smoking salmon this week, could you include this one as well?"

So, I've become the boutique wild salmon smoker to my friends and colleagues. Who knew? It happened little by little while I was not paying attention. Over the last year, when someone came for dinner, I tucked some smoked wild salmon into a small bag as they went out the door. Now, they are all converts to the deliciousness and freshness of smoked wild salmon. 

Right now, we are smack dab in the middle of fresh wild salmon season. It's just as easy to smoke five fish as it is to smoke one. And, so, this afternoon, two of these lovely fish are going into the smoker. By this evening, oh yum, we will have more at the ready.


I'm so glad I can produce this lovely luxury for my friends and family.

Next up? My Kiss and Hug Pickles. Oh, yes!

So, remember . . . never, ever eat farmed salmon. It's filthy and really bad for the environment. And, if you buy smoked wild salmon, check the ingredients. You should be able to recognize them all. That means no nitrates or other preservatives.

Day 63 Everyday Grateful ~
Logan is in "Rent" at the 5th Avenue in Seattle
It opens tomorrow!
If we care about the future, we must protect wild salmon. To learn more and to find links to groups working to protect this important species, go to:

http://www.greatwildsalmonrun.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment