Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Romance of a Lilac Hedge . . .

Holy Cow! What a gorgeous week in Seattle (please don't move here!). While the rest of the country has been sweltering and dealing with power outages, we've had one of the nicest weeks this year. Warm? Yes. Sunny? Yes, that too.

One of the things I learned from my dermatologist when I rushed to her office this week is that because of climate change, poison oak, poison ivy and their noxious pals are moving north. Some time last week, I came in contact with one of these and had blisters the size of grapes on my feet (that's what I get for not wearing shoes). Anyway, it was hideous and itchy.

Don't worry. I won't post a picture. I have standards . . . however low.

In the interim, I've gotten behind on my posts.

Now, about my lilac hedge.

I love the romance of planting fragrant plants, naming my house and generally creating an atmospheric space in which to live. It's all part of creating a flourishing life. As we all know, a luxuriant lilac hedge is a de rigueur for any fairy tale. It is also true, a luxuriant lilac hedge requires a lovely fence. Lovely fences are expensive. Several years ago, I found wonderful salvage lattice cedar fence sections at Second Use. These fence sections are very cool. The lattice openings are square; not the standard diagonal slats. Square openings make for a very handsome fence.


     

There has always been lilac in the front garden. But, since we live in Seattle, sun is a continuing problem. The front fence gets the most sun. So, I've really been encouraging lilacs to grow here. The problem with a hedge along the front of my property is that as it grows and fills out, it can make backing out of the driveway tricky. 

Since my garden is for the most part planted by God, I am darn near an informational novice when it comes to the care and feeding of particular plants. So, I lean heavily on Wives Tales! The classic Wives Tale about lilac is you must prune it no later than the 4th of July. If you prune it later than that, you won't have flowers next year.

Anyway, what with not being able to wear shoes and hobbling around for the last ten days, the 4th of July came and went. I was out working in my yard yesterday when it hit me. The. 4th. of. July! Oh, jeez! Lilacs! Well, the 7th of July is close to the 4th. Isn't it?

I flew into action; a veritable gardening dervish! I pruned the lilac hedge, mowed the lawn in the front and the back (I could have benefited from hiring Rent-a-Ruminant for the back yard), blew off the driveway, back deck and courtyard. Then, I took all the recycle to the eco-center, stopped by the store for fresh wild salmon, cut it up and set it marinating to go into the smoker tomorrow, fixed a lovely toothsome dinner, drank a little Prosecco with a dash of Creme de Cassis, ate on the back deck (no mosquitoes ~ please don't move here) and, when the day was all over, slept the sleep of virtuous.

Gawd, it makes me tired just to read it! But, it's nice to have a really productive day. All caused by a missed deadline!

Maybe next year the lilacs will be back. Hope springs eternal!


Day 58 Everyday Grateful ~
Sunny and completely beautiful.
A reminder of climate change!
Seattle will soon be like Los Angeles in the '50's
~ blue skies, clean air.
Summer may be here! I must water my pots!
 

1 comment:

  1. the White PVC fence styles that we offer. For privacy fence panels, choose from our large selection of heavy duty white vinyl fences. Amarroso vinyl fencing is our premium collection of vinyl fencing products. vinyl fence installation

    ReplyDelete