Sunday, March 18, 2012

We All Have Our Flaws


We all have our flaws. Mine is that I like what I like. I have favourites at restaurants; a favourite breakfast (my own smoked salmon, fresh sesame bagel, capers and sliced tomato with dark roasted French Press coffee with whole milk ~ every day!); favourite shoes (black ballet flats), favourite earrings (gold studs)  . . . you get the idea. Certainly, a case could be made for boring, but, I prefer "steadfast."

In the late 70's, I started wearing my favourite perfume "Secret of Venus" by Weil. A client of mine used to wear it and every time I met to talk about the project, I had to restrain myself from putting my nose on her neck. She used to carry "Secret of Venus" in her store. That's when it started ~ gateway drug! I've worn it and used it daily forever.

Then, quelle horreur, it was discontinued and I've been reduced to buying it online auctions when I need to resupply. Then, yee haw, Weil reintroduced it. Thank God! Uh oh  . . . you know how it feels when you see the big red band of letters on your favourite product "New, and Improved?" Death knells! You just know it is ruined. Yup, the new and improved "Secret of Venus" smells like unrepentant Raid. I've now been reduced to rationing my own supply.

Which brings me to this: one of the thing I've noticed during the last quarter plus century is that the "go to" present for women (much like ties for men) when you can't think of a thing to get for a special occasion is perfume. Nice quality, preferably French. Over the years, I've received some very nice bottles of eau de cologne and parfume ~ Chanel, Dior, Balenciaga, etc. Unfortunately, I never wore them ~ lovely though they are.

As I've been working hard to treat myself with little luxuries, I've started using those lovely perfumes every week. I spray my sheets with my gift fragrances. That coupled with the well-made bed ~ exquisite! Lovely! Generous! Totally atmospheric. Nothing like sliding into crisp fragrant sheets at the end of a busy day.

Now, I am able to put one of my major flaws to good use. Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment