Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Furniture Feels Like it is Nailed to the Floor

Many times when I've met with clients, they tell me they feel stuck. They feel like their furniture is nailed to the floor. They just can't think of any other arrangement. Last week, I met with my best friend and she said the magic words ~ "Isn't there some other way this room can be arranged? I feel like my furniture is nailed to the floor."



We moved everything out and started with a clean slate. This is the perfect project to do with a friend. When you're done, it feels like you've gotten a lot accomplished.

I like the way this little wall turned out. Usually, one puts the console table behind the sofa. It's sort of the classic location. In the "un-nail" process, every piece of furniture is up for grabs. In this case, I moved the settee and placed the vintage Foo-y Lou-y chairs (I love them when they don't take themselves too seriously) upholstered in the spunky graphite cotton check in front of the console table. Putting the small Asian chest between them gave the chairs a table for a glass or small plate. Angling the chairs slightly seems like a more friendly placement. 

The great thing about this arrangement is the combination of textures: large baskets, Asian and contemporary art and porcelain, German etchings coupled with the shades of graphite, cream and gold leaf. It's interesting, approachable, eclectic and the cheeky check and modern handmade porcelain from Page and Thorbeck keeps it from being uptight.

But, the best is ~ the furniture isn't nailed to the floor! Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever my wife wants to rearrange the furniture around the house, she would take a good long look at it first and then she’ll start searching the Internet for inspiration. I saw her do this lots of times, especially whenever the in-laws come over the house and her arrangements always turn out fresh and new. It’s one of the reasons why I married her. She’s very creative. =) Anyway, I like the arrangement that you made. Angling them a little bit is a great touch.

    Gerry Bossier

    ReplyDelete